Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Who's there?

This isn't a post to scare the crap out of you with the thoughts that someone is actually watching your every move. This post was written to make you think about how much Corporate America wants to know about you. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked, at the check out counter, my phone number, zip code, email address and the list goes on and on. Although I work at a retail store and have to ask the same questions of the guests that come into the store, I really wonder when this got way out of control. I mean, does it really matter what my zip code is if I'm getting an oven mitt, an extra pillow case and some gum? Really, is it that important?

This really is a passive aggressive blog posting since I'm the dope that keeps giving my personal information out and then a week later wondering why I get so much junk mail. In the end, is there really a solution besides declining all of the requests for personal information including my favorite one "to save 20% on my purchases by applying for a Target charge card?" I know the information is being used to track my purchases to better help inform the store of my shopping habits and the habits of the hundreds of thousands that shop there.

Until I actually leave the retail world, I guess I'll go on giving my personal information and when I ask a guest that comes in the store I work at hopefully she'll return the favor back to me.

No comments: