Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can you hear it?

Can you hear it? I can...it's the sound of my life's calling. Well, to be honest I didn't hear it at first. On January 14, 2002 I became the FACT Field Guru for the FACT Movement. FACT is Wisconsin't youth led movement empowering Wisconsin teens to use their voice and take a stand against corporate tobacco. FACT took a risk and hired a 23 year old "kid" straight out of college to "run" this statewide Movement. What they got was a loyal, hard working and sometimes quarky guy from Stevens Point named Luke. What I got was way more than the job description indicated.

I got a fresh look at a new generation. Today's teens are fearless and ready to take on corporate America. They are passionate about the things they believe and can convince any adult when they set their mind to it. As some things have changed since I was a teenager (which is now over 11 years ago) many things remain the same. Teens still quesiton athority. The very athority that rule their lives. Most teens are willing to learn and are open to new things. On the other hand, their willingness to learn is dependent on the concept of WIIFM..."What's In It For Me."

Most teens, at one time or another, make poor choices. For example, one teen that I worked with a few years back decided it would be a great idea to hold onto another teen's passport. We were half way to the airport when I got a call from that teen's chaperone asking if my teen had her passport. I asked and he said no, then a long pause..........yes he has it. So, back we went (1 hour out of our way) to return the passport. This caused a series of events that almost made us miss our flight home. See what I mean?

For all of the times where I swear I'm going prematurely grey, I get back 10 fold in an enormous sense of pride and accomplishment when I sit back and reflect on the impact I've made on the lives of these teens. One of the most rewarding parts of my job is when I hear that one of the teens I've worked with has chosen a field related to their experience they gained in FACT. The very first generation of FACT members have now graduated from college and some are still in contact with me on a regular basis.

For all of the long hours I work, the sleepless nights and even the grey hairs, I wouldn't trade my experience with FACT for any other job. There will be a time where I won't be the FACT Field Guru, but when that day comes, I'll look back and think of the positive mark I've made on the Movement and on hundreds of teen's lives. I can finally hear it...it's my calling.

1 comment:

LJR said...

you are very fortunate to have such a rewarding and impactful job. Keep up the great work.