Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hurry up...and wait

There are some people in this world that want nothing more than to grow up as fast as they can. Teens, for example, want to be older so the life they "can't" have, as a teen, will be theirs. Some teens want to move away and be on their own, while others just want to be done with high school so they can "move on." I was one of those pimply faced kids who wanted the 20 something life I saw on TV. It was a life filled with friends, fun and no one telling you what to do or how to do it. I wanted to be my own boss and call the shots.

Something happens along the way, for me it was at the age of 23. The newness of being on your own fades and life happens. There I was one night paying bills and wondering why I wanted so desperately to grow up so quickly. Ironically, I'm now at that stage of my life where I again want my life to speed up so I can hit my retirement and really enjoy my life. Depending on how my retirement planning goes that day is at best still 29 years away. Well, at least I'm half way there.

Note: the picture I posted was taken at night with the shutter open for 30 seconds to capture the lights from passing cars (yellow, red and white lights), a plane flying across the sky (white line in the middle of the picture) and the steady glow of distant stars and not so distant homes in the newly developed subdivision across the street from my apartment complex.

1 comment:

LJR said...

that is an amazing picture. good work Luke....instead of the car lights, i would like to think it is Clark Kent running down Old Sauk.....