Friday, July 11, 2008

The waiting game...a lesson in patience

Yesterday I learned a valuable lesson in photography, you can't force a shot. In my limited experience I had thought it was as easy as going up to a *thing* and taking a picture. This way heavily relies on the camera to do the work with very little responsibility on the shoulders of the photographer. A big storm rolled through Madison yesterday. With my exersize plans foiled by the weather I decided to take advantage of the developing conditions to get some, what I thought would be great, photos. Well, Mother Nature had a plan of her own and before I had a chance to take one photo the sky turned an ugly shade of grey, the wind picked up and it began to downpour. I missed my window of opportunity, until right before I went to bed. Another system rolled into the area, this time about 30 miles north. From the safety of my 2nd floor deck I witnessed lightning illuminating the sky what seemed like every 10 seconds. I quickly grabbed my camera and cursed my lack of knowledge and the fact I hadn't read the entire manual yet. It was night time, extremely dark and I had no clue how to keep the shutter open long enough to caputre nature's fireworks in the sky. Finally after 10 minutes of messing around with the settings I found the option I was looking for. Here's the end result...

Like my Mom would say...patience is a virtue. Thanks Mom, I finally get it.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Awesome Luke....nice job!